Suicide Squad 2021 Review
Nom nom! it still echoes in my ear till now, hahahaha!
James Gunn’s Suicide Squad 2021 is fuckin’ awesome. It’s not perfect but it did a lot of “right” things that the previous Suicide Squad 2016 failed to achieve. First and foremost, as the title itself, the gang has a lot more charisma and depth as characters. James did not try to reinvent the movie but rather take it to a different level. Taking new characters and keeping some to get that chemistry between the mixture of curiousity and familiarity. And yes this is Rated-R which is supposed to be so that the blood, gore and profanity don’t need to be edited or cut, Hallelujah!
Who or What is Suicide Squad?
They are a team of super villains locked in Belle Rave prison under the management of Amanda Waller. Assembled to execute perilous black ops operations, they are implanted with a chip inside their head that if ever a member go sideways or abandon the mission, it will implode. So to make it easier to understand, they complete the mission or die trying.
What's new in Suicide Squad 2021?
Whats new? Aside from most of the characters, not much. It’s your usual super hero flick with a bunch of costumed crusaders saving the world against a humongous global threat. What’s new here is the execution of the movie and the substance given to the characters.
Tha story is about the Suicide Squad a covert mission in Corto Maltese. Locate a contact that will point them to secret facility that houses unsanctioned clinical human experiment called Project: Star Fish, destroy the facility and every trace of the experiment.
Suicide Squad is notoriously known for killing characters even at the very begining of the story. To make this as much as a spoiler-free review, I will not mention anything about what these characters’ role in the movie. It’s up for you to find out.
- Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) – What will Suicide Squad be without Harley Quinn. She is the character and she out did all her previous performances with this one. I think James Gunn’s vision for her role has more dynamic and charisma. I love Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn… who doesn’t?
- Idris Elba (Bloodsport) – A walking killing weapon. He acts as the leader for this team and did really well for his role. I love his cool weapons by the way.
- John Cena (Peacemaker) – One thing I love about his character is that no matter how stupid his costume looks, it stayed true with the comics. He’s the right fit for the character and with funny one-liners, it added fun to the story
- Sylvester Stallone (King Shark) – Nom nom! This character is ferocious, fierce and somewhat cute in this movie. Stallone is right up there voicing King Shark. Like I said this version of Suicide Squad gave life to most of the characters.
- David Dastmalchian (Polka-dot Man) – Don’t let the name fool you. He’s dangerous as much as intriguing. He shoots polka-dots and you wouldn’t want to be the target. David is perfect for this role!
- Daniela Melchior (Ratcatcher) – I hate rats. Her character made me question that hatred. that’s how effective Daniela is in this movie. She controls rats and the rest of her story in this movie is as good as it gets.
- Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flag) – Returning from the initial Suicide Squad 2016. He plays the role like before but witha bit more life.
- Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang) – Still that nasty character as he is, throwing boomerangs in all places.
- Sean Gunn (Weasel) – Oh you’ll love this character, I promise you. And you will remember his face.
- Michael Rooker (Savant) – Michael as an actor is pretty effective in this type of role. That “fuck-i-care” type of villan. You know this guy, if you’ve watched The Walking Dead and Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Maylin Ng (Mongal) – It fits here character well. Since its more of CGI though.
- Pete Davidson (Blackguard) – I think this guy is more annoying than Boomerang.
- Nathan Fillion (T.D.K.) – You would definitely want to see what his powers are. And believe me, you’ll be surprised.
- Peter Capaldi (Thinker) – Like I said, this movie isn’t perfect. The Thinker’s role here, I think is under utilized and there’s still a lot more about the Thinker. Nevertheless, he fits right in.
- Viola Davis (Amanda Waller) – Still the most unlikeable character here in the movie and that’s a good thing because she plays her role well. Like before, you won’t see her smiling and you’ll probably hate her more doing the things she does.
My Take on Suicide Squad 2021 by James Gunn
This movie by James Gunn revived the franchise of the movie. You can really feel the connection between the characters. Action scenes here are not cheesy but dramatically well (special mention on Harley’s shooting scene – excellent!). Suicide Squad finally made sense unlike the previous one which is just one whole mixture of characters doing their things.
Watch this movie! It’s fuckin’ worth it! Link here.
I give Suicide Squad a 4.5 out of 5